dimanche 10 octobre 2010

The man and the women

Bread is my chief problem. There was so much to eat in Italy, that people would leave food lying about without realizing it. Like an Orange or a Tomato. But never bread. And bread you had to have for if you were not to starve.
Right now I am sitting by the road sides. People often did that. So I feel free doing so. After a while  I took precaution of lying flat on my stomach and facing the road. So i could make sure I could quickly duck out of sight if anything came along. I am thinking about how I won't have any bread the next day and for even quite a while and that i might have to ask God for some more. Thats all for now.

The most unexpected thing happed to me just a while ago. A car drove by and it stopped. A man got out of the car and said loudly 'Blast, my spectacles...!' He spoke in English not in Italian. As I watched him groping about in half-light along the edges of the road. I didn't know why but I rose to my feet, and told him 'I'll help you find your spectacles'. As soon as he rose to take a look at me I bent my head so he could not get a good look at my eyes. The man had smiled and said, ' Thank you very much! Its not much good looking for glasses when you haven't got them on, is it?' I said no politely and set about searching the edge of the road. Has soon as I found theme, I told the man. He took them, he opened the door and talked to someone inside. When the man had put his glasses on I could not tell what, but something looked different about him. He smiled at me. I thought before he was one of them, but now i am sure he's not. I could not imagine him striking or shooting anyone. The man put his hand in his pocket, took something out and offered it to me. It was a coin as he held out he's hand he said '' You must have something for you're trouble''
I told him no, and them to be more polite I said no thank you. At first he looked at little disconcerted then he smiled. I knew that in this case I must accept his thanks, and ask if i  could say How do you do to his wife. I did not know how to say so but entered the car. A women sat inside she was pretty, she had a pleasant clean smell, and she was smiling, so I said good evening to her. The man spoke to her in French. He asked her if she had ever come across a little Italian tramp, who spoke English with an Oxford accent and was offended when he was offered money.
I was just about to say I wasn't offended, when I decided not to, since they already thought i was strange because I spoke English, it was better not to let them know that he could speak French as well.
They had asked me a hole bunch of stuff what was my name, who i was, were I come from. I told them that my name was David and that I was off going to join the circus, farther north. They did not seem very interested. So they told me they were on a vacation, from a free country called England,. The women suggested we get this thin called sandwiches. I told her yes please. After the sandwiches. I asked her won't you let me go? I didn't  take your food before you said I could. The man said Of course you can go David. He sounded like Johannes. The  he continued: If there were any way we could help you you would tell us, wouldn't you?
 I replied "Yes sir". No there isn't good bye. The women didn't seem that she was OK with me going, it seem that she wanted to keep me. I got out of the car. And I ran back down the slope and here i am telling you guys this.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire